b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_Emery_wadlast2.jpg                  
   

The Long Island Railroad's North Shore Branch once stretched ten miles farther than it does today. From today's terminus in Port Jefferson the train travelled all the way to Wading River in the East, making stops at Miller Place, Rocky Point, Wardenclyffe (Shoreham) and Wading River. The line was opened in 1895, and was instrumental in the growth of these towns during this time period. The railroad supplied a quick and easy way to transport both people and supplies to the infant towns.

The line was used to bring out workers and dignitaries to Rocky Points, RCA Radio Central, as well as to carry Nikola Tesla and his daily meal to and from the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City to his lab at Wardenclyffe (Shorham) which the train passed directly by.

The Wading River Branch of the Long Island Rail Road was eventually abandoned on March 20th 1939, however the tracks remained for many years. The right of way was purchased by the Long Island Lighting Company (LILCO), now LIPA for use by their power cables, and is still used for this purpose today. There are very few remnants today, however the largest of the once numerous stone rail bridges is still located in shoreham crossing over Woodville Road, and the original Rocky Point station still exists a few feet east of its original loacation and now serves as part of the office of Thurber Lumber. The stones for the Rocky Point Red Stone Rail Bridge which was demolished can still be seen at the end Hallock Landing Road today where they are used as a retaining wall and bulkhead at the beaches entrance. They can easily be distinguished by their red color and block shape. The Wading River Branch upon closing was renamed the Port Jefferson Branch, Port Jefferson being the new terminus of the line, a name still in use today.

   
 
Last train to run to Wading River*
     
           
  Image        
 
Woodville Road Bridge Ruins
       
           
  Image        
 
Rocky Point RR Bridge Remnants.
       
                     
               

b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_Emery_DSC_0273.jpg

     
  b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_Emery_DSC_0269.jpg   b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_Emery_DSC_0268.jpg        
               
  Hallock Landing Rd. Bridge being demolished by Brookhaven Town.*  
Miller Place Station.*
       
                 
                   
               
Woodville Rd. Bridge
(note rd. name change)*
     
                       
  b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_Emery_DSC_0271.jpg     b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_Emery_DSC_0267.jpg       b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_Emery_DSC_0270.jpg  
     
Shoreham Station in its final days.*
       
               
 
Shoreham Station.*
           
Wading River Station.*
 
                       
  b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_Emery_DSC_0272.jpg  

 

 

*Photos Courtesy Emery Collection, Stony Brook University Special Collections Archive.

    b_190_300_16777215_00_images_liruins_stories_Kevin_WaddingRiverRR_rpstaion.jpg  
               
 
Rocky Point Station.*
     
Rocky Point Station Today
 

Comments (0)

Cancel or

Joomla Template: by JoomlaShack