ImagePilgrim State Hospital was at one time the largest psychiatric hospital in the world. Though it is still in operation, parts of it are vacant, and owned by a private developer. Construction began in 1928, with patients arriving in 1931. Construction continued until 1938.
Pilgrim was built to elevate overcrowding from other hospitals and two provide a quiet rural setting for patients. By the 1950?s its population peeked at over 16,000, then came the era of deinstitutionalization, brought on by new medications, and patient right advocacy groups.
Today Pilgrim has a fraction of the patients it once did, its grounds littered with disused buildings awaiting redevelopment. 

Image
Hydrotherapy tub in the basement of a reception building.
Image
Autopsy table in the morgue.
Image
X-Ray machine.
Image
Abandoned train station.
Image
Now offices, this was once the auditorium. The stage can still be seen over the drop cieling.
Image
 The projector room remains untouched.
 
Image
Water tower.
Image
A scale model of Pilgrim, inside the hospital museum.
Image
The museum has many exhibits, including this vintage restraint chair.
Image
Old pharmacy display in the museum.
Image
A fireplace in the staff house.
Image
The power and steam plant, with the train tressle for coal delivery.
Image
Inside the boiler room of the power/steam plant.
Image
Valves in the steam plant.

Suffolk Cummunity College's Brentwood Campus used to be the farm colony section of Pilgrim State Hospital.

Image
Notice the farm animals seen in the stonework of Caumset Hall.
Image
College manhole cover still says PSH {Pilgrim State Hospital)
Image
An office.
Image
Civil defense supplies in the tunnels.

Comments (0)

Cancel or

Joomla Templates: by JoomlaShack